Sunday, June 22, 2008

Boys In The Trees, by Carly Simon


Many years ago Mr Pinky bought a copy of Carly Simon's 1972 album No Secrets. Like many others I just loved the song You're So Vain ('I had some dreams they were clouds in my coffee...'). Alas, the rest of the album didn't really resonate with me and the disc soon disappeared into my CD shelf.


Recently I heard Chaka Khan's new version of You Belong To Me and, being a purist, I decided to dig up the original Simon album from which the hit came. The Madonna film Desperately Seeking Susan first brought this song to Mr Pinky's attention, but I'd never got around to getting a copy of it.


There are only really two songs in the groovy, soulful Doobie Brothers style of You Belong To Me (which was written with Michael McDonald), the other being Tranquillo (co-written with producer Arif Mardin and husband James Taylor).


Otherwise this the album is more in the acoustic, folk style that you'd attribute to Carly Simon. Most of the tracks were written by Simon herself.


I've been listening to this album quite a bit and enjoy the well crafted, ponderous yet not navel-gazing songs. Simon's melodies and her modest yet engaging vocal abilities Mr Pinky finds a tonic to life's frenetic, thoughtless pace.


It's refreshing to hear a singer / songwriter who also plays the guitar on her own albums. (The only mystery here is the Arif Mardin producing credit. Chaka Khan this aint.)


No comments: