Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Plateaux of Mirror, by Brian Eno and Harold Budd

Ahh, time for some soothing music. Mr Pinky has long been a fan of Mr Brian Eno's 'ambient' music, which he understands is a term coined by Eno himself.

This is the second in the 'Ambient' series. Number one is Music For Airports, which concentrates on simple piano chords and Eno's 'treatments' - trippy artificial electronic sounds.

Number Four, titled 'On Land', is more organic sounding and a personal favourite.
The Plateaux of Mirror (who knows what it means), is a mixture of delicate piano sounds and some of Brian Eno's more ethereal effects.

The album Eno did in collaboration with Harold Budd, of whom I know next to nothing.

I always enjoy this type of music when I'm reading a book as it's none too intrusive. I also find that it has the power to change my mood entirely and relax my nerves.
Ambient music is from time to time derided as insubstantial dribs and drabs of sound. Mr Pinky demurs from this opinion and hears in Eno's ambient work compelling aural landscapes that stay with the listener long after they have been experiences.




No comments: